Sunday, October 16, 2005

Josh-
Great stuff on Propaganda. Because my research focused on the Iraq War, I would love to hear which of the four categories you think the U.S. and if possible, Iraq, fits into in this situation. I was watching the news this week and there was one really bizarre instance where there were supposed to be some U.S. soldiers giving a satellite press-conference on the current state of things. It was spooky because the cameras caught a White-House official prepping the soldiers as to what to say and what to do if someone asked a question that they hadn't practiced beforehand. When it came time for the press-conference, the soldiers appeared to be reading their responses as they occasionally stumbled over words when they lost their place and read in a monotone voice. The whole thing made me wonder about this question of Propaganda in war and how we participate in that, discern the truth, and what our response as Christ-followers should be in a instance like that.

David & Reed-
David, I loved your work on Shalom and how that begins to draw some implications for Christ-followers in this discussion on War, Militarism, & Terrorism. Where do our loyalties lie? What do we see as the source of our power? I was reminded of these questions as I read through Isaiah 13-26 this week. Those chapters offer some powerful challenges to us as we consider War as Christ-followers. That will be good for later on. Reed, I was interested in how your stuf connected with David's work. I think the two might work hand-in-hand as you described how we need to see the broader effects of war, not just the monetary side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home