Sunday, October 23, 2005

Week of 10/17 group work:

Dave, excellent work. I think you captured the predicament that we find ourselves in as one of the super-powers of the world. We have backed ourselves into a corner, with our use of military force that has left other countries with little choice but to resort to terrorism. You left us with a question, “Is it a cycle that we as followers of Christ can break?” I would suggest that it is our responsibility to try. We are called to be the light of the world and in the end, we know that it is only by God’s power that oppression will be overcome.

I was further struck by the work we are doing in our exegetical class of Isaiah (you know what I’m talking about!!!) regarding God’s call to his people. I keep getting hit in the face with the idea that God desires that we lean on his power alone, not our own strength (he took away their leadership and their food sources to remind them of that) and not the strength of others (he rebuked them for turning to Egypt). Over and over again, Yahweh despised the haughtiness of the nation, their pride and their forgetting whose property they were! I just wonder what that says to us as the people of God. Are we to rely on the military power of our nation, or are we to challenge the supposition that more power is better? Should our alliance be to the Kingdom of God that sends into upheaval our notions of safety and security? Anyway, I was challenged by your work this week, thank you, Dave.

Josh, great insight as always. I appreciate your work on the discussion of powers. How do you think that we might incorporate some of the challenges you offered into our wiki? You mentioned at the end that we as Christ-followers need to become more involved in the microstructures of society. What effect do you think that might have on the things we say about war/terrorism/militarism? Would people be more willing to listen?

Jesse, thanks for the insight on some more structure for our wiki. We need to all be working on it. I was with you the whole way on the things you were writing about. I just had a question about the end. I was just thinking about whether or not it is possible to be absent from the historical process that we find ourselves in. I was challenged by the seminar the other day, because although it was not said out-loud, it got my wheels turning. Jesus seems to have been deeply rooted in his culture as a Jewish male. That had implications on everything that he did and said and thought and acted upon. Is it our call to be outside of history, or deeply rooted in it with a strong sense of our call all the while? I would love to hear what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home